Wednesday, September 26, 2012

United Way Day of Caring and City Services Fair

Hello all!


Last year, I had the awesome opportunity to help with the huge breakfast to feed the volunteers for the United Way Day of Caring at LaVell Edwards stadium. This year I thought it would be great if I could get more deeply involved. So I contacted the United Way, and they made me the site manager for the Provost Elementary project. Woo hoo!

The United Way Day of Caring is a amazing day where companies and organizations from Utah Country come together in a combined effort to tackle various service projects all over the city. 


The morning of the Day of Caring, we arrived at Provost elementary armed with nearly 30 cans of paint, stencils, rollers, and an enthusiastic group of volunteers. 


These volunteers included a group from Adobe, the Provo Freedom Festival, Girl Scouts of Utah, and Vital Smarts. 



Our task was to paint playground games on several of the blacktop areas around the school and wash some of the outside windows. Our group efficiently divided up into smaller groups to paint games of hopscotch, a map of the U.S., and alphabet caterpillar, and several others. 


Nancy from The Provo Freedom Festival working on hopscotch 


Adobe working on a U.S. map










Intermittently children were released for recess, and many excitedly crowded around the projects, asking the volunteers questions and thanking them for the games. The principal made several trips outside to bring folder after folder stuffed with hand-made thank you's from the students. 



By the time we all left, my hands were covered in paint and my heart was happy. My second attendant MaCall Weight also came to help out! 


MaCall and I


The weather was sunny and clear and the volunteers happily worked until the games were finished. Thanks and compliments go to the United Way of Utah County for the excellent planning and organization of these projects. We had everything we needed, almost to the exact amounts. And we had an incredible time! I personally hope very much to be involved again next year with this awesome event! 



At our finished hopscotches!


Earlier that week, we attended the city services fair. It was fun and interesting to see all of the different departments that work to make this city run smoothly!








 I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the absolute best part of being Miss Provo is meeting and interacting with the wonderful people of this city. I believe in the significance of every human interaction, and I will never tire of making these new friends!





 Oh, and did I mention a hurricane decided to come and break up the party? :)


Have a great week and best wishes,

Kaiti

No comments:

Post a Comment